Location: Community settings in Southampton and Portsmouth
When: Ongoing (minimum until 31 Jan 2020)
Commitment Required: Minimum of 2.5 hours per week for a minimum of 6 months.
(This could involve facilitating group sessions or providing individual support and assessments with service users).
Hours are variable and to be agreed with the volunteers. Regular commitment to this project is vital to establish healthy relationships within the group.
Requirements: Volunteers must have their own, lived experience of a mental health issue or experience or relevant
training of being a victim of crime (e.g. similar to training given by Victim Support / Women’s Aid).
Role Description: JD Volunteer – Victims Of Crime Peer Support Apr 19
As a volunteer within the victims of crime project, you will be using your own experiences of mental health issues or experience/training of being a victim of crime to support, encourage and inspire people experiencing an effect on their mental wellbeing, due to being a victim of crime.
Providing a role model and offering both understanding and support, you will help to raise others’ confidence, self-belief and aid their long term recovery. This may be in a group, social or one to one setting.
- Help plan and run group and activity sessions in line with the needs of participants.
- To support and encourage participants to identify their own strengths and life goals and how to take steps to achieve them.
- Support participants to develop coping strategies and mechanisms that they will be able to apply in their everyday lives.
- To promote recovery through the supporter’s own personal experience and life journey, inspiring others to believe that they too can progress and achieve beyond the issues they are facing.
- Providing participants with tools and coping strategies to play a more active role within their communities, through participation in groups and activities.
- Acting as a role model to participants.
- Participate in service evaluation and reflection, and support participants to take part.
- Commit to ongoing input into the service.
Volunteer Application Forms:
Application forms can be returned by:
Post: Volunteer Co-ordinator, Solent Mind, 15-16 The Avenue, Southampton SO17 1XF
Fax: 023 8202 7811
Or of course you can deliver it by hand to the address stated above.